Even though I am actually 25 and "technically" have been a adult for a while I still don't feel like one. I live alone, pay my bills and take care of stuff, i wouldn't say that i am a grown up. I still call my parents mummy and daddy and I still call my mom when I am mad at my sister to tell on her. I still think about what i want, to be, do say, live, marry, etc., when I grow up. I have said on more than one occasion in the last 6 months "when i grow up....."
Last week one of my favorite facebook friends posted a blog article called "The 20 rules of being 25 and over..." and i thought what better time to evaluate if i grew up without noticing. I only picked the ones that were interesting though. Some were kinda boring.
Here's the whole article though, you should read it.
http://tomatonation.com/?p=838
1. Remember to write thank-you notes.
Yeah, I have thank you notes. I have thankful thoughts. But I also have handwriting that resembles that of an eight year old boy. So on this I am a fail. Not Grown up.
2. Do not invite yourself to stay with friends when you travel anymore.
I think i succeed at this. I am quite happy getting a hotel. I like hotels. If someone volunteers their home, like Val did with Amsterdam I am going to say yes. But I would never invite myself to stay. Pass, Grown Up.
3. Do not expect friends to help you move anymore.
This next move will be the first move where I had enough stuff to hire movers. Before that I did it myself or had Daddy do it. In college there was Sequoyah. I don't like people moving me cause they disrespect my stuff. I would rather pay people I can sue. Pass
5. Be on time.
ughh...this one is going to be a fail. I don't mean to be late. I don't want to be late. I think late people are rude. I just need five more minutes of sleep, a better idea of how long getting ready takes and a more clarity as to how far away places are. There was a semester in college where i convinced myself that if i counted to 60, five times in a row then that would be the five more minutes before i got up. Needless to say i was late a lot that semester.
7. Know how to calculate the tip.
I don't really know how to calculate tip because 20% doesn't seem like enough. I usually end up over tipping. But I don't tip at places where you don't do crap for me. Like sonic or when i pick up food. I had to drive my ass to the restaurant so why do i have to tip you. Y'all can correct me if i am wrong but that's my opinion. I say pass.
9. Learn to walk in heels.
This might be a fail. I think I am doing ok, i haven't actually fallen over lately. But it hurts, A LOT and on more than one pair of heels the tip is worn off at an angle. that makes me think I am doing something wrong. Fail. p.s. Can you get that fixed?
10. Have at least one good dress-up outfit.
I got this. Thanks to two years as Courtney Kerr's roommate, i think i can pull of more than one good dress up outfit. I would take me places, Fancy places. Pass
11. Do as invitations ask you.
My RSVP skills need work. But in my defense most of the invitations I have received in my life have been to weddings or events i was involved in. Is it necessary to RSVP if i am your bridesmaid. The odds of me not showing are slim to none. Fail.
14. Have something to talk about besides college or your job.
I have Common(my love), News, politic, TV, books, general pop culture (thanks to theybf.com). I think i have achieved a level of somewhat interesting. And when i run out of smart things there is always sarcasm and self deprecation to fall back on.
16. Drinking until you throw up is no longer properly a point of pride.
I agree. Who has time to be hung over. Unfortunately for me though, I am the most fun and have mad dancing skills when I am drunk. My goal is usually to get to that place that is fun and giggly, and kinda has rhythm before getting to the toss my cookies phase. Mostly I hit that. Here and there I miss. Lets call this a fail. I had a recent incident.
19. Take care of yourself.
Contrary to recent text messages. I think I take care of myself. I love the Doctor. Love good drugs. I might even be a little bit of a hypochondriac. I shower daily. Sometimes twice. Pass.
Well that was 10 things and i got 5 passes and 5 fails. Damn, no clear answer. Does this mean i am fifty percent grown up???
15 minutes till i have to leave, guess we can ponder this another day. (yay for the use of ponder in a sentence)
Friday Randoms?
6 years ago

As somebody who recently entered grown-up-hood. At least I think I did. Sort of. I pay my own bills for the most part and I have a big-girl job. Anyway I think you are a 100% grown-up. I want to be as grown up as you and that's all that matters right?
ReplyDeleteI always like to think growing up is a lot more than manners and paying bills. i know children who are probably more grown-up than a lot of adults. Growing up, i believe anyway, as a lot to do with self awareness and honesty. the ability to know what it is you want, what drives your behaviour and to have empathy. I think that list is valid but it only coes as a manifestation of self awareness and honesty. I also believe growing up is having loads of money and shiny clothes all to yourself and somewhere to go! i am not kidding :)
ReplyDelete