Tuesday, June 9, 2009

meet me at the crossroads.....

This should be called "I am not my hair" But i thought some of you wouldn't read it if it was titled that so i tricked ya! Boyah!

I am a very lucky girl. I know this because I meet people everyday who have lived life with true tragedy. My life has had none. I pretty much have lived a very easy, simple life. No great Drama. No life tragedy. Pretty normal.

The only crossroads of my life was after graduation from college. I went from the highest high of feeling like "wow i have a college degree" to the lowest low "of crap, marketing degrees are not worth shit in today's world"

I spent the next six months living at my parent's house hating life, trying to find out what i wanted to do and then trying to find someone to pay me to do it. My Dad and I fought daily, he wanted me to get dressed and go hand out resumes. He wanted me to look for jobs the way he did in Nigeria. I couldn't go out and play because my Dad still can't fathom why a normal person would want to go out past 10 p.m. I had one friend in Houston and while he loves me he couldn't entertain me all day every day. Bonnie got married, Val moved to Amsterdam, Ademide was off enjoying her freshman year of college and I lived with my parents. Pretty much It sucked.

Until Friday November 4th, 2005. That is the day i got my first weave. My first trip to the land of the unbeweaveable. The next day i went to Austin and had the most bad ass birthday party to date. Tuesday I drove to Dallas and interviewed for two jobs. Wednesday I got sworn in as an American Citizen. Thursday i found out I got both jobs. Within one week and one weave everything changed. So you can understand my attachment to my store bought hair. Everything turned around with that weave. Ever since then I have had some sort of weave in my head.

So cut to today. Life is no where as bad as it was, but I am 51 days away from homelessness. I realize I won't actually have to live on the street. I can move in with my Aunt in Grand Prairie. But that would be like moving back in with my parents. Pretty much a loss of freedom. I am kinda bored with work. I feel like i did what i needed to do here. I fixed this branch, I want a new one. I really want to go back to school and get a my MBA, or a Masters in Accounting, but what if i am not smart enough.

I feel like this is another crossroads. So, I am doing something drastic with my hair. I am not getting a weave. Tomorrow at 10 a.m. i am getting my weave taken out and being me. I realize that life will probably not figure itself out on a week. But maybe its a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment