Monday, March 9, 2009

Strike! Not the bowling type

Every conversation I have with my father begins with, involves, and/or ends with his very heartfelt prayer for me to get married. Work, his birthday, Church, what I ate for dinner. He brings it back to my getting married. We talk about me renewing my lease or buying a house and Abraham says he hopes that I find a good christian man before the end of my lease to buy a house with. REALLY Daddy? But he is for real. I have asked him if he has someone in particular picked out. He doesn't. But he is praying. Hard.

I was recently informed by the last person in a position to do so that i need a man and it got me to thinking (Don't i sound like Carrie) maybe that's the problem. How much time, energy and make up do i waste on guys?

To be honest every night out has an element of "I wonder who i will meet?" Meeting up with a new group of people has an aspect of "will there be any cute guys", even going to church while it is mostly about the Vitamin J (Jesus) has the underlying thought "they say church is a great place to meet guys," Kerr and KLS (Kimora Lee Simmons) have stressed the idea that you never leave your home looking less than stellar because you never know who you might meet and In the past I took it to heart.

Which brings me to my upcoming self imposed strike. I am going on a man strike. I know what y'all are thinking, "how do you strike from something that isn't happening already?" Its like being unemployed and deciding not to go to work. But this is not about not being with anyone but losing the desire to be with anyone. Truly focusing on myself.

I once told a dear married friend "when you are single, you have two options, you let the world know how desperate you are and how much you hate being single or you take what life has handed you and you try and have the most fun possible. You learn to appreciate the freedom and independence you have." (Remember that Bons?)

I said it over two years ago but now, I think I am finally ready to live it. So I am going to strike. I am no longer looking for anything special. I am still having sleepovers. Lets not get crazy here. I need to finally open the GMAT book that has been sitting in my house for months. I am going to stay home more weekend nights because sometimes when i go out it is for all the wrong reasons.

And if there is someone out there for me. Well between God and my father. He will find me!

But in the mean time I am going to be more about me than ever because as Diane Von Furstenburg told Whitney last night on The City, "The most important relationship you have, is the one with yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment